Audio By Carbonatix
Minority Leader, Cassiel Ato Forson has taken on the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta for his proclamation that the country was on a path to recovery.
The legislator insists that the pronouncement is empty especially when the Minister continues to borrow despite assurance to refrain from it.
While addressing Parliament during the Mid-Year Budget Review on Monday, Kuly 31, 2023, Mr Ofori-Atta highlighted significant progress made in Ghana’s economy since the decision to go to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a bailout.
He told the House that "we have turned the corner and, more importantly, we are determined to continue down that path."
But the Minority Leader will have none of that.
Speaking on the floor of parliament after the Minister's presentation, Ato Forson retorted that the impression created by the Minister is false.
"He said that the performance so far shows that, we have turned the corner. Unfortunately, the evidence and the numbers before us, show us that he has rather deepened our woes," Cassiel Ato Forson said.
"I say this because he has said to us today that he's revising economic growth from 2.8% of GDP to 1.5% of GDP. Again, he said to us here and now that he has borrowed 5.5 billion Ghana cedis from January to June, from the T-Bill market. Mr Speaker, not long ago, this same Minister had informed us that he will not borrow at all in the year 2023. And that going into the remaining parts of the year, he is going to borrow another 41 billion Ghana cedis."
"Aside from that, the Cedi depreciation we are seeing so far, it's largely because we have defaulted in the payment of external interest and principal. That is why the cedi has depreciated."
The Mid-Year Fiscal Policy is in accordance with Article 179 of the 1992 Constitution and the Public Financial Management Act, 2016 (Act 921).
Latest Stories
-
Trade Ministry prepares for US Chamber of Commerce Trade Mission
21 minutes -
We have all seen it – Kwakye Ofosu confirms early race to replace Mahama
32 minutes -
One dead, several injured in head-on crash on Wenchi-Subinso road
46 minutes -
FABAG backs GSA fight against ‘unjustified’ port charges
1 hour -
Manasseh Azure Awuni: President Mahama, I feel ashamed
1 hour -
GNFS responds to diesel tanker accident at Asuboi, no casualties recorded
1 hour -
Charles Amissah’s family sues 3 hospitals, doctors and AG, seeks GH¢20m compensation
1 hour -
Ghana signs MOU with ‘Google for Education’ to strengthen digital literacy
1 hour -
Ghana’s economic activity strengthens, but business confidence eases to 12.6% – BoG
2 hours -
Galamsey: Ahafo Security Council disbands illegal mining site, seizes five excavators
2 hours -
GSA and German partners distribute calibrated scales to traders in Techiman
2 hours -
National Peace Council urges calm over rising political tensions
2 hours -
Ghana reaffirms commitment to peaceful cross-border governance and integration
2 hours -
‘I don’t see any faction amongst us’ – Bawumia urges unity in NPP
2 hours -
Mobile Money transactions hit GH¢493.2bn in April 2026 – BoG
2 hours