Member of Parliament for Dome Kwabenya, Sarah Adwoa Safo, experienced a rather vocal and unsympathetic reception from a section of women during her visit to the Dome Market in her constituency.
The MP, who was absent from both parliament and her constituency for over a year was met with a resounding chorus of disapproval as she attempted to reconnect with her constituents.
In a viral video that has been circulating on social media, Adwoa Safo can be seen attempting to engage with market women by extending a friendly handshake on Thursday, October 26.
However, her efforts were overshadowed by the sounds of disapproval, with traders hooting, shouting, and clapping to express their discontent with the MP.
The market women made their sentiments clear by chanting phrases like "We want change" and "Adwoa Safo, we don't want you again."
Background
Adwoa Safo's absence from parliament was one of the most discussed topics in the country in 2022 which left the house and party divided. The discussion came on the back of her leaving the country in November 2021.
In one of the instances in October 2022, the Majority Leader clashed with the Speaker of Parliament over a decision to subject Adwoa Safo’s fate to vote.
Alban Bagbin had ruled that the Privileges Committee report is not final.
The Privileges Committee recommended that the 40-year-old’s seat be declared vacant for failing to provide an explanation for her absence.
Delivering the much-anticipated ruling, the Speaker noted that the report of the Committee must be placed before the whole House for a decision to be made.
This did not go down well with the Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu. The Majority Leader who doubles as the Suame MP said the ruling is unfortunate and inconsistent.
The general public was divided on her motive including her constituent who were unsure as to what her status in the area and its effect on development.
However, on November 11, 2022, Adwoa Safo officially resumed her parliamentary duties following her return from the US.
In July last year, she was sacked by President Akufo-Addo as Gender Minister.
In September this year, Sarah Adwoa Safo issued an apology to the New Patriotic Party (NPP) for the controversies she sparked during her extended absence from parliamentary duties.
The former Gender Minister acknowledged that the negative actions she exhibited during that time were unjustified and expressed regret.
She explained that these emotions were fueled by the complex personal challenges she was facing in her private life.
“It was not my intention to disrespect you. There was a lot going on in my life and family. I’m using this medium to plead for your forgiveness in the name of God,” she said in the September 14 video.
Latest Stories
-
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Hearts of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
5 minutes -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
5 minutes -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
10 minutes -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
28 minutes -
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
1 hour -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
1 hour -
GPL 2024/25: Karela United move out of the relegation zone with win over Legon Cities
1 hour -
Gov’t is running away from joint security briefing on ‘suspicious flights’ – Ntim Fordjour
2 hours -
Budget support instruments must align with Ghana’s climate goals – IMANI
2 hours -
Democratic control and oversight of intelligence in african states: Responsibilities of organs of the state, CSOs
2 hours -
Ghana move one place up in latest FIFA ranking
2 hours -
Gov’t owes Zoomlion a whooping GH₵1.2bn for unpaid waste management services – Minister reveals
2 hours -
Cedi starts April 2025 on stable note; one dollar going for GH¢15.95
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Thursday, April 3, 2025
3 hours -
Soldier to ride from Accra to Kumasi to promote cyclists safety
3 hours