The wreckage of two Ugandan helicopters that went missing on Sunday has been found in a remote area of Kenya, Kenyan officials have said.
Two bodies have been recovered and eight other people on the aircraft have been rescued, the officials added.
Both attack helicopters were part of a contingent being sent to reinforce the African Union (AU) force in Somalia.
A Ugandan spokesman suggested bad weather caused the crash and ruled out an external attack or mechanical fault.
A third helicopter on the same mission made an emergency landing in Mount Kenya on Sunday.
Its passengers have been rescued, Kenyan army spokesman Col Cyrus Oguna said.
Only one of the four Russian-made helicopters en route to Somalia made a scheduled refuelling stop on Sunday in the Kenyan town of Garissa.
'Completely destroyed'
The wreckage of the two missing helicopters was spotted on Mount Kenya - Africa's second-highest peak at 5,199 metres (17,057 feet) - by wildlife officers.
The deputy warden of Mount Kenya National Park, Simon Gitau, said rescue workers saw two bodies and helped rescue eight other people from one of the two downed helicopters, the AP news agency reports.
One helicopter has been completely destroyed and the other partially, Col Oguna told the BBC.
Uganda Army spokesman Colonel Felix Kulaigye told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme that the helicopters had been purchased in 2003 and had a lifespan of more than 20 years, if well maintained.
He said they had been checked by a UN team before setting off and so a mechanical fault was "out of the question".
"We have ruled out foul play, an external attack," Col Kulaigye said, adding that an investigation had been launched.
The combat helicopters came down as they were flying from Uganda to Somalia to take part in an AU-led offensive to capture the port city of Kismayo from the militant Islamist group al-Shabab, correspondents say.
Ugandan troops form the bulk of the nearly 17,000-strong AU force in Somalia, where they are supporting the UN-backed government.
Although it has lost ground in the past year, al-Shabab, which has joined al-Qaeda, still controls many southern and central areas.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Nigeria’s Regional Development boss, Samuel Ogbuku nominated for Africa’s top award in Marrakesh.
1 hour -
Barcelona beat Atletico to set up Real Madrid final in Copa del Rey
2 hours -
Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana shortlists 48 for Pharma Excellence Awards
3 hours -
Top companies and individuals recognised at 8th Ghana-West Africa Healthcare Excellence Awards
4 hours -
‘All deducted E-Levy must be refunded immediately’ – GRA warns charging entities
4 hours -
‘No more E-Levy, effective immediately’ – GRA orders compliance with tax abolition
4 hours -
GAF probes alleged assault by soldiers in Kumasi; places officers under close arrest
4 hours -
Physical Planners commend Mahama for swift action on waterway demolitions
4 hours -
2025 budget prioritises health, but funding gaps remain – ARHR
4 hours -
Photos: IGP Yohuno seeks counsel with former IGPs
4 hours -
Energy and Green Transition Minister receives advisory report on private sector role in power distribution
5 hours -
Painter accused of stealing BoG cables granted GH₵1m bail
5 hours -
Mahama orders speedy desilting of Odaw drain to prevent flooding
5 hours -
Bono Regional Prison Commander honoured at a pull-out ceremony after 32 years of service
5 hours -
Kennedy Agyapong’s electoral perspective provides insight into Ghana’s political realities, not divisiveness
6 hours