Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has remanded two persons accused of stealing 54,000 litres of petrol valued at GH¢932,040 and subsequently setting fire to the tanker transporting the fuel.
Alhassan Amidu, a driver, and Francis Owusu, a driver's mate, are alleged to have conspired to steal the fuel and burn the tanker, valued at GH¢980,000, in an attempt to make the incident appear to be an accident.
The two have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, namely stealing and causing damage, as well as stealing and causing damage. They have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The prosecution told the court that the complainant, Emmanuel Narh, owns J.K. Narh Transport, a fuel transportation company.
According to the prosecution, Amidu was the driver of the tanker, with registration number BRU JK 9171-21, while Owusu was the driver's mate.
The court heard that the accused persons were assigned to transport the 54,000 litres of petrol from Tema to Buipe in the Savannah Region.
The prosecution alleged that the two conspired to sell the fuel before setting fire to the tanker on a stretch of road between Kawakpe and Gurupe while travelling towards Buipe.
The accused persons subsequently informed the complainant that the tanker and its contents had been destroyed by fire in an accident, the prosecution said.
The complainant, however, suspected foul play and reported the matter to the police, leading to the arrest of the two accused persons.
During investigations, the prosecution said the accused persons admitted in their caution statements that they had tampered with the tanker's compartment seal by drilling into it to gain access to the fuel.
Investigations are continuing.
The two accused persons are expected to reappear before the court on August 31, 2026.
Latest Stories
-
Communique: Democracy Not for Sale Forum — Ho Edition
3 minutes -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
4 minutes -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
17 minutes -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
33 minutes -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
47 minutes -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
1 hour -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
1 hour -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
1 hour -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
1 hour -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
2 hours -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
2 hours -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
2 hours -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
2 hours