Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has remanded three persons over the alleged concealment of 869 slabs of suspected cocaine in bags of gari and cassava powder in Tema.
The accused persons are Gilano Jorgino Holwin, a Dutch security guard; Alhaji Iddrisu Haruna, a 56-year-old transporter; and John Mensah Sarbah, a 41-year-old clearing agent.
The court, presided over by Mrs Evelyn Asamoah, remanded them into lawful custody after their lawyers’ bail applications were refused.
They have pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit unlawful control of narcotic drugs, unlawful control of narcotic drugs, and prohibited business relating to narcotic drugs.
The prosecution, led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Emmanuel Haligah, opposed the bail applications, saying investigations were underway and urged the court to consider the charges against the accused persons.
ASP Haligah told the court that Holwin was a resident of Cantonments, while Haruna and Sarbah were residents of North Legon and Nungua, respectively.
The prosecutor said the complainants, who are Police Officers, were stationed at the Tema Regional Criminal Investigations Department.
The prosecution said that on August 5, 2026, at about 1930 hours, the complainants, acting on intelligence, proceeded to the Golden Suvineur warehouse at the Main Harbour in Tema, where they arrested the accused persons over alleged narcotic drug activities.
The court heard that the accused persons were found loading white sacks of gari and cassava powder from the warehouse at the Main Harbour into a DAF truck with registration number WR 1118-10.
Upon inspection, the prosecution said 869 slabs of substances suspected to be narcotics were found concealed in the bags of gari and cassava powder.
During interrogation, the prosecution said Holwin admitted ownership and indicated that Haruna and Sarbah were assisting him to export the drugs to London, UK.
The prosecution said the exhibits had been forwarded to the Forensic Science Laboratory for examination and compilation of a report.
The prosecutor informed the court that investigations were underway.
Latest Stories
-
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
13 minutes -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
42 minutes -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
44 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
1 hour -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
1 hour -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
2 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
2 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
2 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
2 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
2 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
2 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
2 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
2 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
3 hours -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
3 hours