A young couple whose twin babies died during delivery at the Tema General Hospital on Wednesday November 3, has accused the Hospital of ”murder" through negligence.
According to them, the two girls could have survived if nurses and doctors on duty had been more responsible and professional in attending to them.
Narrating her experience to Citi News, the frail and sick looking mother, Mrs. Adwoa Safoa Addo, indicated that her folder was not thoroughly checked for her maternal medical records resulting in the mishap.
She said although earlier scans taken during her antenatal days had indicated that she needed to be delivered through a caesarean section; nurses at the hospital on that fateful day forced her to deliver the normal way.
She says even though the first baby died through a normal delivery, she was forced to keep the second baby in her womb for well over 12 hours.
Mrs. Addo told Citi News that realizing she could not stand the pain, she began crying, upon which a doctor gave the advice that she should go through the caesarean section.
According to her, the problems compounded when she prepared for the operation, there was no one available to give her any anesthetic.
When she inquired, she was told that the one who is expected to do that was not available.
She maintains that if those on duty had been a little more diligent she would have at least gotten one of the twins.
Husband of the victim Mr. Carl Addo is demanding explanations for the death of the twins.
“The consequence of this is so cumulative and very heavy on us but I hope that very soon my wife will recover because she is nursing her caesarean wounds. She is so weak that she can’t walk or do anything. I blame the medical practitioners on duty that very day but not all of them. My intention is not to rundown the sacrifice of medical practitioners but I am not ruling out murder in their way of doing things at the Tema General Hospital,” he said.
Mr. Addo questioned why a pregnant woman, who had been attending antenatal services at the same Hospital since May 2010, could not have had a successful delivery.
He told Citi News he is prepared to face the Hospital authorities in Court for the death of his twins and many others who have lost their babies through negligence.
“I will not entirely discount the fact that murder through whichever means is an everyday activity at the Tema General Hospital”.
Obviously, a doctor is not setting out to kill, but the law is not only concerned about your actions, but your inactions as well. Why shouldn’t a doctor go through her history? Why do you push back the umbilical cord and get her waiting for twelve hours?” He asked.
“I would petition the Health Minister and the Ghana Health Service and based on their feedback, if nothing comes out, I will go to Court. I am challenging the management of the Tema General Hospital to explain not just to me but to Ghanaians. Again, how is it that there is no fuel in an ambulance to go and pick an anesthetic? The
Management has to explain a lot of things to me and then afterwards, if it is not satisfactory, of course nothing can bring back those kids, but I believe in victory of good over evil and I would go to Court,” Mr Addo vowed.
When contacted by Citi News, authorities of the Tema General Hospital refused to comment on the matter.
This is just one of the many recent cases of alleged medical negligence which has often caused the deaths of unborn babies and sometimes their mothers.
In April 2010, the wife of a Deputy Energy Minister, Inusah Fuseini, died at the Police Hospital during child birth.
Not too long after, popular comedian Koo Fori also lost his wife and baby during delivery.
The most popular was that one involving the Vaah Family who lost their son at the Lister Hospital in Accra due to alleged medical negligence.
The Couple later formed the Vaah Junior Foundation for Better Maternal and Child Health.
Source: Citifmonline.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t is running away from joint security briefing on ‘suspicious flights’ – Ntim Fordjour
10 minutes -
Budget support instruments must align with Ghana’s climate goals – IMANI
23 minutes -
Democratic control and oversight of intelligence in african states: Responsibilities of organs of the state, CSOs
25 minutes -
Ghana move one place up in latest FIFA ranking
29 minutes -
Gov’t owes Zoomlion a whooping GH₵1.2bn for unpaid waste management services – Minister reveals
32 minutes -
Cedi starts April 2025 on stable note; one dollar going for GH¢15.95
56 minutes -
Today’s Front pages : Thursday, April 3, 2025
1 hour -
Soldier to ride from Accra to Kumasi to promote cyclists safety
1 hour -
Jerry Yao Ameko secures 100% endorsement as Adaklu DCE
1 hour -
Ghana remains “mostly unfree” in economic freedom: ACEYE’s IGIPTEP report offers solutions
1 hour -
‘No suspended projects in Ghana’ – World Bank clarifies
1 hour -
BoG policy rate hike of 28%, here is MPC Decision Statements
1 hour -
Trump’s tariffs are a longtime goal fulfilled – and his biggest gamble yet
2 hours -
Trump announces new tarrifs, Ghana hit by 10% import tax
2 hours -
Latif Iddrisu vrs IGP trial : Trial to continue today 8 years after life-threatening assault on the journalist
2 hours