South Africa plans to leave the International Criminal Court (ICC), a deputy minister said on Sunday, as the government faces criticism for ignoring a court order to arrest Sudan's president earlier this year.
The ICC has "lost its direction" and the ruling African National Congress (ANC) wants to withdraw South Africa after following certain processes, Obed Bapela, deputy minister in the Presidency, told reporters after a ruling party policy meeting.
Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, accused of genocide and war crimes, visited the country in June, but was allowed to leave despite a court order to detain him. The government last week asked the ICC for more time to explain why it allowed this. [ID:nL8N1253CF]
But the ruling party this weekend resolved to leave the ICC, with Bapela saying powerful nations "trample" human rights and pursue "selfish interests".
"South Africa still holds the flag of human rights, we are not lowering it," he said, adding parliament would now debate ICC membership.
The ANC commands a comfortable majority in the legislature of Africa's most advanced economy, with more than 60 percent of the vote.
Latest Stories
-
Nigeria’s Regional Development boss, Samuel Ogbuku nominated for Africa’s top award in Marrakesh.
2 hours -
Barcelona beat Atletico to set up Real Madrid final in Copa del Rey
3 hours -
Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana shortlists 48 for Pharma Excellence Awards
4 hours -
Top companies and individuals recognised at 8th Ghana-West Africa Healthcare Excellence Awards
5 hours -
‘All deducted E-Levy must be refunded immediately’ – GRA warns charging entities
5 hours -
‘No more E-Levy, effective immediately’ – GRA orders compliance with tax abolition
5 hours -
GAF probes alleged assault by soldiers in Kumasi; places officers under close arrest
5 hours -
Physical Planners commend Mahama for swift action on waterway demolitions
5 hours -
2025 budget prioritises health, but funding gaps remain – ARHR
5 hours -
Photos: IGP Yohuno seeks counsel with former IGPs
5 hours -
Energy and Green Transition Minister receives advisory report on private sector role in power distribution
6 hours -
Painter accused of stealing BoG cables granted GH₵1m bail
6 hours -
Mahama orders speedy desilting of Odaw drain to prevent flooding
6 hours -
Bono Regional Prison Commander honoured at a pull-out ceremony after 32 years of service
6 hours -
Kennedy Agyapong’s electoral perspective provides insight into Ghana’s political realities, not divisiveness
7 hours