The Minority in Parliament has called on President Akufo-Addo to pardon the students dismissed by the Ghana Education Service (GES).
In a statement on Thursday, the Minority said in as much as it condemns the conduct of the eight affected students, the decision by the GES to expel them is 'harsh' and 'retrogressive'.
They therefore want the President to intervene to offer the students a second chance despite their despicable conduct.
According to the Minority, denying children access to education in this dispensation is an 'absolute drawback', hence their appeal.
"We are also by this statement, urging the GES to proffer an alternative but corrective punishment to the eight students.
This we believe would be in the best interest of our collective goal to ensuring that every Ghanaian child has access to formal education.
In conclusion, the Minority wishes to appeal to His Excellency the President, to use his good offices to pardon these students as he did in 2020 when a group of some students misconducted themselves towards him", portions of the statement read.
The Minority further condemned the decision of the Ghana Education Service and asked the GES to review its decision in the interest of safeguarding the educational rights of the affected students.
Earlier today, the Ghana Education Service (GES) dismissed eight students of the Chiana Senior High School in the Upper East Region for allegedly insulting President Akufo-Addo.
Prior to the dismissal, the students had been on suspension.
The GES says its investigation into the incident confirmed that the students used unsavoury language against the President in a viral video.
It thus described the actions of the students as “very undesirable, and contrary to the acceptable standards of the conduct generally required of any student in Ghana’s educational system".
Prior to the dismissal of the students, the GES had earlier apologised to the President over the said conduct.
Meanhwile, reacting to the news of the dismissal, some Ghanaians have taken to social media to berate the GES over its decision.
According to the critics, the decision is simply untenable.
One of them is an advocate for children’s rights who is unenthused about the decision.
The Country Director of the International Child Development Programme, Joyce Larnyoh said the Ghana Education Service should employ more appropriate means of punishment other than dismissal.
Speaking on JoyNews‘ News Desk, Mrs Larnyoh reiterated that no child should be denied the right to education no matter the circumstance.
Others have however backed the move; arguing that it will help instill discipline amongst students, especially at the Senior High School level.
Latest Stories
-
Pregnant woman killed, 2 others injured by unknown gunmen at Kukpalgu in N/R
2 hours -
Saminu blazes to a wind assisted 9.87 seconds 100m victory
3 hours -
Four killed in gang fight at Wiamoase in A/R
3 hours -
Nhyira FM feeds over 500 Kumasi residents at 2025 fufu party
3 hours -
2025 Easter Football Gala to unite communities in Offinso North set for April 21
3 hours -
Valencia stun Real Madrid for first victory at Bernabeu since 2008
3 hours -
Luis Enrique eyes ‘unbeaten season’ as PSG clinch Ligue 1 title
4 hours -
GPL 2024/25: Basake Holy Stars aiming to break duck against Berekum Chelsea
4 hours -
SIC MD calls for stronger collaboration with brokers to boost Ghana’s insurance industry
4 hours -
Westside school visits Safari Valley Eco-park as part of the Joy FM eco champions project
4 hours -
Evelyn Badu goal gives Bjorkegren first Black Queens win as Ghana beat Senegal
6 hours -
Iranian president sacks deputy for ‘lavish’ Antarctic cruise
6 hours -
Tone down on ‘flash and burn’ politics – Dr. Adutwum urges
7 hours -
“There are issues everywhere” – TDC Boss orders EOCO probe into $1m IT contract, others
7 hours -
Let’s be vigilant, increase surveillance for meningitis – GHS Director General
8 hours