Three polling station chairmen in the New Juaben North Constituency of the NPP have filed a writ at the High Court barring the party from organising delegates’ congress in the constituency to select a parliamentary candidate for the December elections.
Kwame Esulfi Nyarko, Isaac Osei and Yeboah Eman took the action in respect of the disqualification of two contenders for the seat, Mr. Twum Agyeman and Dr. Samuel Annor.
The two were allegedly disqualified from contesting the primaries on the basis that they did not nurture the constituency.
But the three polling station chairmen have sought an injunction restringing the party from holding the primaries until a substantive case on the matter is determined by the court.
The writ of summons was served through the National Chairman of the NPP, Mr. Peter Mac Manu.
Still on the acrimony that has characterised the NPP primaries, the Ejisu Juaben constituency called off its planned primaries on Friday to the chagrin of some supporters.
Some aspirants and delegates had gathered at the proposed venue for the elections only to be told later that the event had been cancelled.
The incumbent Member of Parliament for the constituency, Mr. Akwasi Osei Adjei and the regional chairman of the party were however not at the venue.
One of the contenders, Mr. Oliver Boakye told Joy News that he was disappointed at the manner in which the issue was handled.
He said he was not aware that the programme was going to be postponed.
The Ashanti Regional Secretary of the Party explained to Joy News that some aspirants had violated the party’s rules by camping delegates.
That situation he said had the potential to cause disaffection hence the party’s decision to postpone the elections to a later date.
Story by Malik Abass Daabu
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Nigeria’s Regional Development boss, Samuel Ogbuku nominated for Africa’s top award in Marrakesh.
23 minutes -
Barcelona beat Atletico to set up Real Madrid final in Copa del Rey
2 hours -
Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana shortlists 48 for Pharma Excellence Awards
2 hours -
Top companies and individuals recognised at 8th Ghana-West Africa Healthcare Excellence Awards
3 hours -
‘All deducted E-Levy must be refunded immediately’ – GRA warns charging entities
3 hours -
‘No more E-Levy, effective immediately’ – GRA orders compliance with tax abolition
3 hours -
GAF probes alleged assault by soldiers in Kumasi; places officers under close arrest
3 hours -
Physical Planners commend Mahama for swift action on waterway demolitions
3 hours -
2025 budget prioritises health, but funding gaps remain – ARHR
3 hours -
Photos: IGP Yohuno seeks counsel with former IGPs
4 hours -
Energy and Green Transition Minister receives advisory report on private sector role in power distribution
4 hours -
Painter accused of stealing BoG cables granted GH₵1m bail
4 hours -
Mahama orders speedy desilting of Odaw drain to prevent flooding
4 hours -
Bono Regional Prison Commander honoured at a pull-out ceremony after 32 years of service
4 hours -
Kennedy Agyapong’s electoral perspective provides insight into Ghana’s political realities, not divisiveness
5 hours