The Minority NDC in Parliament on Wednesday raised issues over budgetary allocation to the Office of Accountability, saying it was not an office backed by law to receive separate or itemised allocation.
According to them, the functions of that office was not known to Parliament neither had reports on its activities been presented to the House so it was wrong to appropriate monies to an office which does not account to Parliament.
Some members of the minority raised the issue during contributions to a motion to approve a sum of 110,039,251.00 Ghana cedis for the services of Government Machinery for the 2008 fiscal year moved by the Minister of Presidential Affairs, Mr Kwadwo Mpiani.
Mr. Edward Doe Adjaho, Deputy Minority Leader, said the minority had no problems in supporting budgetary allocations to the Office of Accountability if it was placed under the Office of the Chief of Staff or any office recognised by Parliament.
He said it was wrong for the Office of Accountability to stand on its own and receive allocations when it was not accountable to Parliament, although Parliament had oversight functions over budgetary allocation to government ministries, department and agencies.
Mr. Haruna Iddrisu, (NDC-Tamale South), had earlier, called for the scrapping of the office.
Dr. Benjamin Kunbour, (NDC-Lawra Nandom) also supported calls that monies should only go to that office if it was placed under the right office and its activities made known.
Mr. Mpiani, however, said he was prepared to come before Parliament when invited to let members know about the activities of the Office of Accountability
Earlier, the House approved 516,803,855.00 GH cedis for the Ministry of Health and 1,101,876,530 GH cedis for the Ministry of Education.
Major Courage Quashigah, (rtd), Minister of Health Minister, in moving the motion for the approval of the budgetary allocation to his Ministry, said a look at the demographic health survey results might indicate that the health ministry was not doing well.
He said what was basically wrong, however, was that the right interventions were in place but road accidents, low physical activity and unhealthy lifestyles were creating the problems for the ministry.
He said it was in this direction that the Ministry was pursuing the regenerative health and nutrition programme to promote healthy lifestyles to keep the population healthy.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
IMF commences 4th review of Ghana’s bailout programme
7 minutes -
Ghana remains important to us ‘no matter what’ – U.S ambassador
12 minutes -
Accra floods: Mahama alarmed as GARID projects delay
25 minutes -
Teddy Osei of Osibisa fame to be honored with state funeral on April 4
32 minutes -
We will begin geotagging and geofencing of excavators from ports – Armah Buah
37 minutes -
Kuami Eugene to donate revenue from his rendition of ‘Awoo Mawugné’ to Omar B’s family
43 minutes -
IMCC convenes decentralisation sector working group meeting
51 minutes -
TGMA Errors and Omissions: Kuami Eugene added as songwriter of Okyeame Kwame’s ‘No Competition’
1 hour -
Regard illegal miners as ‘dangerous terrorists’ – Kofi Buah
1 hour -
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Heart of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
1 hour -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
1 hour -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
2 hours -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
2 hours -
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
3 hours -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
3 hours