Daimler, the German carmaker that owns Mercedes-Benz, has said it will shed at least 10,000 jobs worldwide as it seeks to fund the switch to electric cars.
Daimler personnel chief Wilfried Porth told journalists the number of jobs lost would be "in the five figures".
The move comes days after rival Audi said it would cut 9,500 of its 61,000 jobs in Germany for similar reasons.
Daimler said the car industry was going through "the biggest transformation in its history".
"The development towards CO2-neutral mobility requires large investments, which is why Daimler announced in the middle of November that it would launch a programme to increase competitiveness, innovation and investment strength," the firm said.
"Part of this programme is to reduce staff costs by around €1.4bn by the end of 2022 and, among other things, to reduce the number of management positions worldwide by 10%."
Electric cars
Daimler, which has a global workforce of nearly 300,000 and factories in 17 countries, said it would reduce costs and employment "in a socially responsible manner", including the use of "natural fluctuation". "In addition, the possibilities for part-time retirement will be expanded and a severance programme will be offered in Germany in order to reduce jobs in the administration," it added. Daimler said its plans had been agreed with the firm's works council, which includes union representation. German carmakers have been slow to adapt to new technological trends, including self-driving cars and electric vehicles. At the same time, they have been suffering falling demand in China, while the trade war between Washington and Bejing has also dented growth.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Unilever Ghana launches affordable ‘Comfort’ sachet fabric conditioner
9 minutes -
“Ghana is not just an anarchic state, it’s a vampire state”- Prof Aning on missing ECG containers
10 minutes -
Goldbod must focus on how to ensure compliance – Dr Stephen Ackah
30 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi calls for urgent investigation into missing containers, commends Energy Minister for transparency
1 hour -
‘This is a clear organised crime’ – Victoria Bright on missing ECG containers
1 hour -
Presidency gagging relevant institutions from probing aircraft case suggests cover-up – Ntim Forjour claims
2 hours -
US tariffs pose significant risk to global economic outlook – IMF
2 hours -
Regional Collaboration and Standards – Policy recommendations for coordinated biofuel development in West and East Africa
2 hours -
US tariffs raise US recession risks, threaten global economic outlook – Fitch
2 hours -
TPTI holds 8th graduation, MCA graduates urged to pursue excellence
2 hours -
ECG containers not missing, officials must account for them – Kofi Bentil
3 hours -
Kwakye Ofosu’s response about suspicious flights not credible – Ntim Fordjour
3 hours -
Police investigate shooting incident at Adventist SHS in Kumasi
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Conference set for July 31
3 hours -
Rev Ntim Fordjour must be arrested to substantiate claims – Sammy Gyamfi
3 hours