An explosion at a fuel tank has left more than 50 people dead in the Libyan city of Sirte, officials and local residents have said.
National Transitional Council commander Leith Mohammed said that the blast happened late on Monday.
"There was an enormous explosion and a huge fire," he was quoted as telling AFP, adding that there were "dozens of charred bodies" at the scene.
The explosion happened as a crowd waited nearby to fill their cars.
Images from the scene showed residents carrying human remains away on stretchers as plumes of black smoke continued to rise from the tank.
The exact number of people who were killed and injured in the explosion was not yet clear.
According to one NTC official and the Syria-based Al-Rai television station, more than 100 people died.
An NTC spokesman said a cabinet minister would provide further details in a news conference later in the day, the Associated Press reports.
One eyewitness quoted by AP said that at least 11 people were brought to the town's Ibn Sina Hospital with serious burns on Monday.
Tirana Hassan, a researcher for the New York-based Human Rights Watch, said nurses said they had been injured in the fuel depot blast.
Sirte, the devastated hometown of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, was the last bastion of resistance to NTC forces and the site of his capture last week.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Alcohol makes male fruit flies more attractive
34 minutes -
UK to keep pushing for deal after Trump imposes 10% tariff
45 minutes -
World leaders call Trump tariffs ‘wrong’ and ‘unjustified’
59 minutes -
Trump to charge high tariffs on ‘worst offenders’ globally
1 hour -
GRA cracks down on E-Levy compliance: Strict monitoring and record-keeping mandated
1 hour -
Uefa to assess Chelsea accounts at end of season
2 hours -
Milan derby cup semi-final after first leg
2 hours -
Mourinho accused of ‘physically attacking’ Galatasaray boss
2 hours -
Tesla sales plunge after Elon Musk backlash
2 hours -
Judge permanently dismisses criminal case against NYC mayor
2 hours -
No additional US tariffs for Canada, but no relief either
2 hours -
US cancels visa of Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias
3 hours -
Nigeria’s Regional Development boss, Samuel Ogbuku nominated for Africa’s top award in Marrakesh.
6 hours -
Police nab two in connection with robbery, extortion incident
6 hours -
Trader jailed 12 years for having sex with minor
6 hours