Former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan believes increased sustainable farming is the only way out of the current global food crises.
Speaking during the biennial conference of the Food and Agriculture Organization which has just appointed a new Director-General, he advocated measures that could be adopted to ensure the crisis is managed.
“For if countries cannot come together successfully to deliver food security – this most basic of all human needs – our hopes for wider international cooperation look doomed. Yet even on food there has been in recent years an ominous retreat from the idea of common purpose based on shared values,” he said.
Mr Annan said there had been a worrying rise in protectionism, unilateral export bans, land grabs, and exclusive deals that meet the food needs of the rich but not the poor.
“That is why I passionately plead that along with tackling the problem of climate change, delivering global food and nutrition security is the challenge of our time but daunting as the barriers are, they are not insurmountable. We have after all, doubled food production before so we must not despair,” Mr Annan encourage.
He called on the FAO to step up its efforts to develop a fair and transparent framework to tackle hunger and deliver food security and also warned against the sale of agricultural lands.
“It is very disturbing that a recent report found that agricultural land that adds up the size of France has been bought in 2009 alone by hedge funds and other speculators. It is neither just nor sustainable for farm lands to be taken away from communities in this way nor for food to be exported when there is hunger on the doorstep. Local people will not stand for this abuse and neither should we,” he warned.
He said if however, “larger commercial firms integrate their activities within the community serving as hubs that link small scale holders to value chains, sharing knowledge and best practices, they can play an important and positive role.”
The conference appointed José Graziano da Silva as its New Director-General. He is the FAO’s eighth Director-General since the Organization was founded in Canada in October, 1945.
Source: Joy News/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Regard illegal miners as ‘dangerous terrorists’ – Kofi Buah
2 minutes -
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Heart of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
14 minutes -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
15 minutes -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
20 minutes -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
38 minutes -
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
1 hour -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
1 hour -
GPL 2024/25: Karela United move out of the relegation zone with win over Legon Cities
2 hours -
Gov’t is running away from joint security briefing on ‘suspicious flights’ – Ntim Fordjour
2 hours -
Budget support instruments must align with Ghana’s climate goals – IMANI
2 hours -
Democratic control and oversight of intelligence in african states: Responsibilities of organs of the state, CSOs
2 hours -
Ghana move one place up in latest FIFA ranking
2 hours -
Gov’t owes Zoomlion a whooping GH₵1.2bn for unpaid waste management services – Minister reveals
2 hours -
Cedi starts April 2025 on stable note; one dollar going for GH¢15.95
3 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Thursday, April 3, 2025
3 hours