President Joseph Kabila has won the Democratic Republic of Congo's election, provisional results show.
He obtained 49% of the vote against 32% for veteran opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi, the election commission chief said.
The announcement has been delayed since Tuesday, with election officials blaming logistical problems.
The opposition has complained of fraud and security is tight in the capital, Kinshasa, amid fears of violence.
DR Congo is rich in minerals such as gold, diamond and coltan, which is used in mobile phones. But years of conflict and mismanagement mean it recently came bottom of a survey of living standards around the world.
Riot police are patrolling the streets of the capital, seen as an opposition stronghold in this country which is still recovering from years of conflict in which some four million people died.
The BBC's Noel Mwakugu says the mood in opposition districts of Kinshasa is quiet and sombre.
Many shops and stalls in the city's markets have been closed for most of the week.
"The Independent National Electoral Commission certifies that candidate Kabila Kabange Joseph has obtained the simple majority of votes," said election commission chief Daniel Ngoy Mulunda.
On Thursday, he said the results had been delayed again in order to "assure the credibility" of the numbers.
In the eastern city of Goma, people started to celebrate as soon as the results were announced on national TV and radio, reports the BBC's Joshua Mmali in the city.
Mr Kabila enjoys greater popularity in eastern areas, where his origins lie and where he is credited with helping to end the war.
However, he is less popular in the west, partly because he is not fluent in the local Lingala language and because some see him as representing foreign interests.
The results still have to be ratified by the supreme court.
International protests
Mr Kabila, 40, has been president since 2001, following the death of his father, Laurent.
In 2006 he won the first elections since the end of a five-year conflict and is now due to be sworn in on 20 December for his second term.
Earlier this year, the constitution was amended so that the candidate with the most votes wins the elections, removing the need for a second round.
As well as the presidential race, more than 18,000 candidates contested 500 parliamentary seats.
Mr Tshisekedi, 78, campaigned for multi-party democracy during the years of former leader Mobutu Sese Seko but this was the first time he has contested an election.
His supporters have been protesting in South Africa, Belgium, France and the UK, accusing the international community of backing Mr Kabila
Four other candidates have said the election should be annulled because of alleged fraud, including pre-marked ballot papers.
Voting material did not arrive in some polling stations for four days after the election was supposed to have been held.
Election officials used helicopters from the UN peacekeeping mission to deliver material to remote parts of the country, which is two-thirds the size of Western Europe but with hardly any paved roads or railways.
But the African Union and four other African observer missions said the polls had been "successful" and urged both sides to show restraint.
The European Union observer mission said its preliminary findings showed that the polls were marred by "numerous irregularities, sometimes serious".
Several thousand people last weekend fled Kinshasa for neighbouring Congo-Brazzaville as fears grew that violence would escalate once completed results are published.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
GMet warns of heavy rains and flooding, urges coastal residents to take precautions
9 minutes -
Ghana Bauxite Company deploys methods to mitigate environmental impact of operations
15 minutes -
Interior Minister raises concerns over drug trafficking in prisons
17 minutes -
NPP will remain cursed until promise to Alan is honored – Kwame Owusu Danso
23 minutes -
Supreme Court to hear suit challenging CJ’s removal process on April 9
30 minutes -
Two Chinese nationals and 11 Ghanaians arrested for illegal mining in Western Region
36 minutes -
From Love to resilience: PruCares Valentine’s Day Experience Impact on healthcare sustainability
38 minutes -
Finance Minister engages Chinese Ambassador to deepen bilateral cooperation
44 minutes -
7 illegal miners arraigned before Sekondi Special Court for Galamsey
1 hour -
NPP members actively involved in galamsey to disgrace Mahama – A Plus alleges
1 hour -
Prudential Life Insurance Ghana launches US$100,000 Climate Action Project in Chorkor
1 hour -
If you don’t like our polls, put it in the bin – Mussa Dankwah
1 hour -
Even in America, people are interested in who’ll run in 2028 election – Mussa Dankwah justifies early poll
1 hour -
NACOB to go after pharmacists and persons who trade in unprescribed drugs
1 hour -
Foreigners involved in galamsey and fraud will be deported, not prosecuted – Interior Minister
2 hours