The ownership battle engulfing one of the world's most famous sporting institutions ended up in court after owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett tried to sack members of the board last week in a last ditch bid to keep control of the club.
The board were in the process of agreeing a £300 million sale to New England Sports Ventures, the owner of the Boston Red Sox, ahead of an October 15 deadline to repay over £200m worth of debt.
Justice Floyd told a packed court that Hicks and Gillett had been guilty of the "the clearest possible breach" in terms of corporate governance rules and their bid to sack the board.
The judge spoke for around an hour in his summing-up.
The Liverpool board including Gillett and Hicks would meet later on Wednesday to consider its next move following the judgment, lawyers on all sides and the judge agreed.
Justice Floyd said they had the right to attend but not to veto any sale.
Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton (pictured, centre, with managing director Christian Purslow (left) and commercial director,Ian Ayre) told Sky Sports News after the hearing that he was "disappointed" that Gillett and Hicks had tried to breach the undertakings he said it had given him.
"When you go to court you can never pre-judge the outcome," he said.
"The board has to be reconstituted and then re-sit this evening. I can't pre-judge what the board is going to say.
"It will be inappropriate to pre-judge what the board's going to say."
If the repayment date with major creditor the Royal Bank of Scotland is missed, the five-time European champions and England's most successful soccer club could be put into administration and docked nine points.
Lawyers for Hicks and Gillett admitted to a similarly packed London court room on Tuesday that the two men had breached their contract with RBS by trying to reshape the board but said they had been forced to do so because those members were not considering alternative offers.
The two men argued they should be given more time to find a better offer.
A second, higher bid emerged on Tuesday when Singapore billionaire Peter Lim said he was ready to make an increased cash bid for the club of £320m.
Lawyers for Hicks and Gillett told the court a third group, Mill Financial, had also shown an interest in the Merseyside club.
Source: Eurosport.yahoo.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Don’t celebrate yet, declined T-bill yields artificial – IPPA to Finance Minister
6 hours -
Hidden epidemics in Africa and power of serosurveillance
6 hours -
Policy rate hike came at a wrong time; government must be financially disciplined – IPPA
6 hours -
Telecel CEO calls for collaboration between academia and industry for nation-building
7 hours -
Telecel Enterprise Business Director advocates strengthened support for women entrepreneurs
7 hours -
Chamber of Licensed Gold Buyers hails enactment of GoldBod Act
7 hours -
Securing Rugby’s Future: Morocco welcomes 2025 international seminar on African Rugby Development
8 hours -
UHAS commits to advancing role of sports in public health and national dev’t
8 hours -
FixTheCountry to stage May 1 protest over gov’t inaction on illegal mining
9 hours -
Some film producers wanted to end my dreams – Yvonne Nelson
9 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: The CEO’s guide to financial leadership
9 hours -
China-Ghana Mining Association inaugurated to deepen bilateral collaboration
9 hours -
Gov’t to equip pre-tertiary schools with tech tools to boost STEM and AI education
9 hours -
Delta Air Lines champions women’s leadership in global trade
10 hours -
Caveman CEO wins The Royal Senchi’s 1st Golf Invitational
10 hours