Ons Jabeur and Aryna Sabalenka say they will not compete at this summer's Olympic Games in Paris in order to prioritise their health.
World number three Sabalenka retained her Australian Open title in January but lost to Russian teenager Mirra Andreeva in the French Open quarter-finals this month.
That was the first time the Belarusian, 26, had lost before the semi-finals of a major since the 2022 French Open.
Jabeur, the world number 10, has been struggling with a recurring knee injury over the past two years and the 29-year-old Tunisian is concerned about playing on grass and hard courts either side of the Olympics.
The tennis competition at the Games takes place on the clay courts at Roland Garros from 27 July to 4 August, with the US Open beginning 22 days later.
Jabeur, who was also beaten in the French Open quarter-finals, said on X, external she and her team had "decided that the quick change of surface and the body's adaptation required would put my knee at risk and jeopardise the rest of my season".
Sabalenka, who was runner-up at last year's US Open, said: "I prefer to have a little rest to make sure physically and health-wise I'm ready for the hard courts.
"Especially with all the struggles I've been struggling with the last months, I feel I have to take care of my health.
"It's too much for the scheduling and I made the decision to take care of my health."
Athletes from Russia and Belarus who qualify for the Games can only compete as neutrals in Paris, following Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
Russian men's world number four Daniil Medvedev is among the players who intend to compete at the Olympics as a neutral athlete.
Sabalenka is set to play in Berlin as part of her Wimbledon preparations, having reached the semi-finals last year.
Wimbledon takes place from 1-14 July.
Latest Stories
-
Unilever Ghana launches affordable ‘Comfort’ sachet fabric conditioner
9 minutes -
“Ghana is not just an anarchic state, it’s a vampire state”- Prof Aning on missing ECG containers
9 minutes -
Goldbod must focus on how to ensure compliance – Dr Stephen Ackah
30 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi calls for urgent investigation into missing containers, commends Energy Minister for transparency
1 hour -
‘This is a clear organised crime’ – Victoria Bright on missing ECG containers
1 hour -
Presidency gagging relevant institutions from probing aircraft case suggests cover-up – Ntim Forjour claims
2 hours -
US tariffs pose significant risk to global economic outlook – IMF
2 hours -
Regional Collaboration and Standards – Policy recommendations for coordinated biofuel development in West and East Africa
2 hours -
US tariffs raise US recession risks, threaten global economic outlook – Fitch
2 hours -
TPTI holds 8th graduation, MCA graduates urged to pursue excellence
2 hours -
ECG containers not missing, officials must account for them – Kofi Bentil
3 hours -
Kwakye Ofosu’s response about suspicious flights not credible – Ntim Fordjour
3 hours -
Police investigate shooting incident at Adventist SHS in Kumasi
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Conference set for July 31
3 hours -
Rev Ntim Fordjour must be arrested to substantiate claims – Sammy Gyamfi
3 hours