Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Dome-Kwabenya, Sarah Adwoa Safo has issued an apology to the New Patriotic Party (NPP) for the controversies she sparked during her extended absence from parliamentary duties.
In a video posted on Facebook, the former Gender Minister acknowledged that the negative actions she exhibited during that time were unjustified and expressed regret.
She explained that these emotions were fueled by the complex personal challenges she was facing in her private life.
“It was not my intention to disrespect you. There was a lot going on in my life and family. I’m using this medium to plead for your forgiveness in the name of God,” she said in the September 14 video.
She also apologized to President Akufo-Addo, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia, the Chief of Staff, Parliamentary Leadership and the party hierarchy while extending a similar to party faithful, constituents and sympathisers as well.
Adwoa Safo's absence from parliament was one of the most discussed topics in the country in 2022 which left the house and party divided. The discussion came on the back of her leaving the country in November 2021.
In one of the instances in October 2022, the Majority Leader clashed with the Speaker of Parliament over a decision to subject Adwoa Safo’s fate to vote.
Alban Bagbin had ruled that the Privileges Committee report is not final.
The Privileges Committee recommended that the 40-year-old’s seat be declared vacant for failing to provide an explanation for her absence.
Delivering the much-anticipated ruling, the Speaker noted that the report of the Committee must be placed before the whole House for a decision to be made.
This did not go down well with the Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu. The Majority Leader who doubles as the Suame MP said the ruling is unfortunate and inconsistent.
The general public was divided on her motive including her constituent who were unsure as to what her status in the area and its effect on development.
However, on November 11, 2022, Adwoa Safo officially resumed her parliamentary duties following her return from the US.
In July last year, she was sacked by President Akufo-Addo as Gender Minister.
Latest Stories
-
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
5 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
8 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
10 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
12 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
13 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
15 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
20 minutes -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
50 minutes -
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
54 minutes -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
1 hour -
Freddie Blay pledges support for Wontumi’s bid for NPP national chairmanship
1 hour -
Accra–Tema train derails after collision with cow
1 hour -
Five houses, nine vehicles buried in Adaklu Mountain mudslide
2 hours -
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
2 hours -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Savings and Loans licence restoration
2 hours