The International Criminal Court has announced that Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto will go on trial for crimes against humanity in September.
It also recommended parts of the trial should be held in Kenya or Tanzania.
Mr Ruto denies orchestrating 2007 post-election violence, as does fellow indictee President Uhuru Kenyatta.
The news comes after weeks of pressure from other African states and the AU to drop the charges against Mr Kenyatta and his deputy, our correspondent says.
Mr Kenyatta's trial is scheduled to begin in July.
Time for preparation
On Monday, judges at the ICC accepted the request by Mr Ruto's lawyers for more time to prepare his defence.
They ruled that trial of the deputy president - along with his co-accused, broadcaster Joshua arap Sang - would be delayed until 10 September.
The ICC judges also said it might "be desirable to hold the commencement of trial and other portions thereof, to be determined at a later stage, in Kenya or, alternatively, in Tanzania".
However, the prosecution said that despite its concerns about security it favoured bringing the trial closer to the victims.
In another major development on Monday, says the BBC's Anna Holligan in The Hague, the ICC announced the case against the former president of the Ivory Coast, Laurent Gbagbo, had been adjourned because of "insufficient evidence".
The judges said the evidence against Mr Gbagbo presented by prosecutors was not strong enough to allow the case to move to trial, but not weak enough for them to throw out the charges.
The news attracted rare criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the decision "highlights the urgent need for the prosecutor's office to improve the way it builds cases".
Mr Gbagbo faces four charges of crimes against humanity relating to the violence that followed disputed presidential elections in 2010.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Trump’s tariffs are a longtime goal fulfilled – and his biggest gamble yet
16 minutes -
Trump announces new tarrifs, Ghana hit by 10% import tax
20 minutes -
Latif Iddrisu vrs IGP trial : Trial to continue today 8 years after life-threatening assault on the journalist
24 minutes -
More money, less taxes, and smarter spending: Finance Minister breaks down new economic reforms
1 hour -
Black Sherif unleashes highly anticipated sophomore album ‘Iron Boy’
1 hour -
Kwame Agbodza criticises late award of 80km Sampa-Jinijini road contract
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketiah struggles to gain ground in NDC’s 2028 presidential race – Global InfoAnalytics
1 hour -
I am excited about Pencils of Promise’s intervention projects – Ja Rule
2 hours -
Mahama’s job approval hits 66%; signalling strong confidence in him – Global InfoAnalytics survey
2 hours -
Presidency and Military ranked least perceived corrupt institutions in Ghana now – Global InfoAnalytics
2 hours -
Police, Immigration, Judiciary ranked top 3 most corrupt institutions in Ghana – Global InfoAnalytics survey
2 hours -
Bawumia leads NPP race with 48% of Ghanaians approval rate – Global InfoAnalytics
2 hours -
68% of voters say Akufo-Addo caused NPP defeat – Global Info Analytics
2 hours -
57% of NPP supporters prefer Bawumia to run for 2028 – Global InfoAnalytics
3 hours -
Nigerian pastor acquitted of rape after eight years in South African jail
3 hours