CrowdStrike has promised to improve how it tests software after its faulty content update for Windows systems caused a mass global IT outage on Friday.
The cybersecurity company's mistake resulted in problems for banks, hospitals and airlines as millions of PCs displayed "blue screens of death".
In a detailed review of the incident published on Wednesday, CrowdStrike said the problem occurred due to a "bug" in the system which was meant to check software updates were working properly.
The glitch meant its system did not identify "problematic content data" in a file.
The company said it could prevent the incident from happening again with better software testing and checks, including more scrutiny from developers.

The faulty update crashed 8.5 million Microsoft Windows computers around the world and George Kurtz, Crowdstrike's boss, has apologised for the impact of the outage.
But cybersecurity experts told BBC News that the review revealed "major mistakes" were made by the firm.
"What’s clear from the post-mortem is they didn't seem to have the right guardrails in place to prevent this type of incident or to reduce the risk of it occurring," said cyber-security consultant Daniel Card.
His thoughts were echoed by cybersecurity researcher Kevin Beaumont, who said the key lesson from CrowdStrike's review was that the firm doesn't "test in waves".
"They just deploy to all customers at once in a so-called 'rapid response update' which was obviously a huge mistake," he said.
But Sam Kirkman from cybersecurity firm NetSPI told the BBC the review showed CrowdStrike "took steps" to prevent the outages.
He said these steps "have likely been effective to prevent incidents on countless occasions before last week”.

Congress calls
According to insurance firm Parametrix, the top 500 US companies by revenue, excluding Microsoft, had faced some $5.4bn (£4.1bn) in financial losses from the outage.
It said that only $540m (£418m) to $1.08bn (£840m) of these losses were insured.
And the US government has opened an investigation into Delta Airlines' handling of the outage after it continued to cancel hundreds of flights.
Delta chief executive Ed Bastian said in a letter to customers on Wednesday that "the worst impacts of the CrowdStrike-caused outage are clearly behind us" and it expects the airline to make a full recovery on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Mr Kurtz has been called to testify in front of Congress about the outage.
"This incident must serve as a broader warning about the national security risks associated with network dependency," wrote the House Committee on Homeland Security.
It has given the cybersecurity company until Wednesday evening to respond by scheduling a hearing.
Latest Stories
-
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
47 minutes -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
48 minutes -
GPL 2024/25: Karela United move out of the relegation zone with win over Legon Cities
52 minutes -
Gov’t is running away from joint security briefing on ‘suspicious flights’ – Ntim Fordjour
1 hour -
Budget support instruments must align with Ghana’s climate goals – IMANI
1 hour -
Democratic control and oversight of intelligence in african states: Responsibilities of organs of the state, CSOs
1 hour -
Ghana move one place up in latest FIFA ranking
1 hour -
Gov’t owes Zoomlion a whooping GH₵1.2bn for unpaid waste management services – Minister reveals
2 hours -
Cedi starts April 2025 on stable note; one dollar going for GH¢15.95
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Thursday, April 3, 2025
2 hours -
Soldier to ride from Accra to Kumasi to promote cyclists safety
2 hours -
Jerry Yao Ameko secures 100% endorsement as Adaklu DCE
2 hours -
Ghana remains “mostly unfree” in economic freedom: ACEYE’s IGIPTEP report offers solutions
2 hours -
‘No suspended projects in Ghana’ – World Bank clarifies
2 hours -
BoG policy rate hike of 28%, here is MPC Decision Statements
2 hours