The driver in a car crash that killed Nelson Mandela's great-granddaughter has been acquitted by a South African court, his lawyer has said.
Sizwe Mankazana was cleared of all counts, including driving under the influence of alcohol, the lawyer said.
He was driving 13-year-old Zenani Mandela home from a concert in Soweto to kick off the 2010 football World Cup when the car hit a steel barrier.
Zenani was one of Mr Mandela's nine great-grandchildren.
The anti-apartheid fighter, who became South Africa's first black president, had campaigned for the World Cup to be held in South Africa.
Mr Mankazana's lawyer, Hulme Scholes, said the magistrate had described the crash as a "freak accident", the South African Press Association (Sapa) news agency reports.
Mr Mankazana had been acquitted of reckless driving, driving under the influence of alcohol and culpable homicide, he said.
Zenani's grandmother Zindzi is now spear heading a United Nations campaign for road safety, the AP news agency reports.
South Africa has one of the world's worst road safety records, and there is an average of 42 deaths each day on roads across the country, correspondents say.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Ghana remains important to us ‘no matter what’ – U.S ambassador
3 minutes -
Accra floods: Mahama alarmed as GARID projects delay
15 minutes -
Teddy Osei of Osibisa fame to be honored with state funeral on April 4
23 minutes -
We will begin geotagging and geofencing of excavators from ports – Armah Buah
28 minutes -
Kuami Eugene to donate revenue from his rendition of ‘Awoo Mawugné’ to Omar B’s family
34 minutes -
IMCC convenes decentralisation sector working group meeting
42 minutes -
TGMA Errors and Omissions: Kuami Eugene added as songwriter of Okyeame Kwame’s ‘No Competition’
55 minutes -
Regard illegal miners as ‘dangerous terrorists’ – Kofi Buah
1 hour -
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Heart of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
1 hour -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
1 hour -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
1 hour -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
2 hours -
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
2 hours -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
3 hours -
GPL 2024/25: Karela United move out of the relegation zone with win over Legon Cities
3 hours