Audio By Carbonatix
Commercial drivers at Kpone Barrier and its environs in the Kpone Katamanso Municipality of the Greater Accra Region have suspended their sit-down strike today.
The suspension follows an assurance from the Kpone Katamanso Municipal Assembly to address their deplorable roads.
The Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Samuel Okoe Amankwa, has promised the drivers that he will ensure the roads are fixed by the end of this week.
“So we have done reshaping and gravelling at that place four times already within this year but when it rains the rain washes everything away so we’re trying to do the same thing.”
“But this time we’ll let a compactor compact the road after we have gravelled it and we want to do that work by the weekend so that the road will be motorable for users,” he said.
The Chairman of the Kpone Barrier Taxi Drivers Union, Rexford Ntiamoah, however, indicates that they will recommence their protest by Monday, August 21, 2023, if the MCE fails to fix the roads.

“The reason why we didn’t do the sit-down strike this morning is because of the survey made by the assembly yesterday, we have an assurance from the Assemblyman that within this week we’ll see something on the road, that is why we have called it off.”
“So this is not permanent, we’re waiting to see what they’ll do and if from today up to Saturday we don’t see anything, we’ll call on a meeting again on Sunday with the Tema chairman, Ashaiman chairman and all the stakeholders and Monday we’ll work on it again,” he said.
Commercial drivers of Saki-Bediako in the Kpone Katamanso Municipality embarked on a one-week sit-down strike on Monday, August 14, 2023, over deplorable roads.
Rexmond Ntiamoah, Chairman of the Kpone Barrier taxi local union, reiterated that the stretch from Kpone Barrier to the Michel Camp gate through Saki to Bediako junction and Bediako last stop had been abandoned for a long time, hence the call for the sit-down strike.
Latest Stories
-
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
3 minutes -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
7 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
28 minutes -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
30 minutes -
‘4.3m JHS, 9.5m primary textbooks’ – Opoku Mensah tells Education spokesperson to check records
30 minutes -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
32 minutes -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
37 minutes -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
41 minutes -
‘Hungry to win’ – Villa’s Konsa joins Arsenal in £55m deal
53 minutes -
Argentina’s Paredes banned for 10 games
53 minutes -
Republic Bank Ghana and Enterprise Life launch enhanced insurance products for customers
59 minutes -
Patrons explore property, construction solutions as Day 1 of Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair ends
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Anglican SHS cruise to one-eighth stage as Namong SHTS shine on debut
1 hour -
Obaahemaa Nana Aframoa Fri
1 hour -
Oppong Nkrumah challenges Deputy AG’s claim that his court application was based on ‘falsehoods’
1 hour