The Former Member of Parliament for Tamale Central, Inusah Fuseini says the censure motion against the Finance Minister will keep other Ministers on their toes.
According to him, even though the censure motion against Ken Ofori-Atta failed to meet the required number of votes to succeed, it will still make Ministers know they can be hauled before Parliament through a censure motion.
He made this known on Joy FM’s Top Story on Thursday.
“The biggest advantage is that Ministers of State now know that they can be hauled before Parliament on the motion of censure and so any Minister presently serving government or ministers in the future government will act with the knowledge that they can be hauled before Parliament,” he told Evans Mensah.
On November 10, 2022, the Minority Caucus in Parliament moved a motion calling for a vote of censure on the Finance Minister and accused him of economic mismanagement.
The Speaker subsequently referred the motion to an eight-member Adhoc Committee for a review.
The Committee after its hearing presented its report to the House last week. The report was admitted by the House in Parliament on Thursday before the debate and subsequent vote on the censure motion.
Meanwhile, the Minority in Parliament did not succeed in their attempt to remove Ken Ofori-Atta from office.
The censure motion against Finance Minister failed to meet the number of votes required to succeed.
Only the Minority members were present to vote. All 136 Minority MPs took part in the secret vote to pass the censure motion.
The Majority members walked out minutes before the voting commenced.
By walking out, the Majority denied the House the quorum to vote on the report presented by the 8-member Ad-hoc Committee.
The Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, who led the walkout during the debate, explained that his side cannot be a part of the process.
According to him, the censure motion filed by the Minority to oust the Finance Minister is borne out of bad faith, adding that it only seeks to embarrass Mr. Ofori-Atta.
“…. Like Pontius Pilate, we will wash our hands off this,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
It was a very physical game – Ogum on Berekum Chelsea clash
11 minutes -
We have failed to implement adequate measures to effectively tackle galamsey— Daryl Bosu
15 minutes -
IMF commences 4th review of Ghana’s bailout programme
47 minutes -
Ghana remains important to us ‘no matter what’ – U.S ambassador
52 minutes -
Accra floods: Mahama alarmed as GARID projects delay
1 hour -
Teddy Osei of Osibisa fame to be honored with state funeral on April 4
1 hour -
We will begin geotagging and geofencing of excavators from ports – Armah Buah
1 hour -
Kuami Eugene to donate revenue from his rendition of ‘Awoo Mawugné’ to Omar B’s family
1 hour -
IMCC convenes decentralisation sector working group meeting
2 hours -
TGMA Errors and Omissions: Kuami Eugene added as songwriter of Okyeame Kwame’s ‘No Competition’
2 hours -
Regard illegal miners as ‘dangerous terrorists’ – Kofi Buah
2 hours -
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Heart of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
2 hours -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
2 hours -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
2 hours -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
3 hours