Mahama Ayariga, Member of Parliament for Bawku Central, has asked Parliament to invite the Chief of Staff and Minister for Presidential Affairs, Kwadwo Mpiani, to explain why former President Rawlings and seven ex-security capos were banned from all security installations.
He said the President is the head of the Security Council and since the Chief of Staff works at the Office of the President, he will be the right person to tell Ghanaians why such a move, which impedes on the affected persons human rights, was taken.
He argued that even though the letter banning them was signed by the National Security Coordinator, Dr. Sam Ghartey Amoo, a letterhead of the Office of the President was used.
Mr. Ayariga, a former Minority Spokesperson on Legal and Constitutional Affairs, told Citi FM on Tuesday “I want the Minister of Presidential Affairs to confirm if indeed the decision was taken by the Security Council”.
He explained that the National Security Coordinator is not a member of the Security Council and no power has been vested in him to issue such a ban.
Mr. Ayariga said even if it is confirmed that the action was backed by the Council, he is prepared to go all out to ensure that the ban is lifted.
He stated that after scrutinizing the letter, he realised that there has not been any communication between the National Security Coordinator and the Council prior to the decision.
As a lawyer, he described the ban as “unconstitutional” and an infringement on the rights of the seven former security officers.
Lt Gen. Arnold Quainoo former General Officer Commanding, Brigadier General Nunoo Mensah former chief of Defence Staff, Real Admiral Owusu Ansah former Chief of Naval Staff, C.K. Dewornu former Inspector General of Police, F.Y. Asare, former Greater Accra Regional Police Commander, Bruce Konuah former Defence Advisor to Pakistan, and W.K. Aboah former Commissioner of Police were banned last month from entering all military and police installations and garrisons in the interest of national security after they had a meeting at the residence of former President Rawlings .
Story by Isaac Essel
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
Latest Stories
-
Regard illegal miners as ‘dangerous terrorists’ – Kofi Buah
2 minutes -
GPL 2024/25: ‘Title race not over’ – Heart of Lions boss Bashir Hayford
14 minutes -
Youth unemployment fuels illegal mining – Small-Scale Miners Association
15 minutes -
44% of Ghanaians say galamsey fight has seen no change under Mahama
19 minutes -
Chief Supt. Dr Sarah Aba-Afari appointed as Madina Divisional Commander
37 minutes -
TGMA breaks silence on why King Paluta’s ‘Makoma’ missed out on 2025 edition
1 hour -
Yagbonwura rejects President Mahama’s MCE nominee for West Gonja
1 hour -
GPL 2024/25: Karela United move out of the relegation zone with win over Legon Cities
2 hours -
Gov’t is running away from joint security briefing on ‘suspicious flights’ – Ntim Fordjour
2 hours -
Budget support instruments must align with Ghana’s climate goals – IMANI
2 hours -
Democratic control and oversight of intelligence in african states: Responsibilities of organs of the state, CSOs
2 hours -
Ghana move one place up in latest FIFA ranking
2 hours -
Gov’t owes Zoomlion a whooping GH₵1.2bn for unpaid waste management services – Minister reveals
2 hours -
Cedi starts April 2025 on stable note; one dollar going for GH¢15.95
3 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Thursday, April 3, 2025
3 hours