Former Black Stars midfielder Emmanuel Agyemang Badu says the date for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) will put African players in a tight situation.
Last week, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) announced the decision to play the next edition of the continent's flagship tournament between December 2025 and January 2026.
The period of the tournament will mean some of the continent's best players who play in Europe would have to sacrifice their time at their various clubs as well as miss celebrating the festive period with family and loved ones, a situation Badu believes is difficult.
"It's a very difficult situation but this is our job. This is the kind of job we want to do," he told Joy Sports.
"You need to be there and represent your country, you need to make yourself proud, your country proud so whenever you get the call-up whether it's Christmas time, whether the European club will worry us, you just need to come and do the job for your country."
He also urged the continent's highest football governing body to ensure there is no repetition of this situation.
"It's just unfortunate but we need to abide with it and just go with it. I hope it will not repeat itself because it will bring a lot of chaos for the players," he added.
Latest Stories
-
Akorfala: Celestine Donkor’s latest song features Diana Hamilton
26 minutes -
Deloitte Africa member firms unite to celebrate ‘Earth Month 2025’
48 minutes -
Newly recruited teachers from Colleges of Education demand payment of 7 months ‘ salary arrears
48 minutes -
92.3% of businesses in Ghana remain informal – GSS
58 minutes -
“We are not oppressed in our homes” – Hajia Zaliatu Kasim dispels misconception about Muslim women
1 hour -
ASEPA petitions President Mahama for removal of Auditor General from office
1 hour -
Idris Elba meets with management and staff of UniMAC’s Institute of Film and Television
2 hours -
It was a very physical game – Ogum on Berekum Chelsea clash
2 hours -
We have failed to implement adequate measures to effectively tackle galamsey— Daryl Bosu
2 hours -
IMF commences 4th review of Ghana’s bailout programme
3 hours -
Ghana remains important to us ‘no matter what’ – U.S ambassador
3 hours -
Accra floods: Mahama alarmed as GARID projects delay
3 hours -
Teddy Osei of Osibisa fame to be honored with state funeral on April 4
3 hours -
We will begin geotagging and geofencing of excavators from ports – Armah Buah
3 hours -
Kuami Eugene to donate revenue from his rendition of ‘Awoo Mawugné’ to Omar B’s family
3 hours