Audio By Carbonatix
Adamus Resources Limited has rejected the government’s decision to uphold the revocation of its mining leases, accusing the Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, of abusing his powers and disregarding Ghana’s mining laws.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, August 12, the mining company said it received the minister’s decision with “shock and disappointment” and described the process leading to the revocation as unlawful.
Adamus said the decision was contrary to procedures prescribed under the Minerals and Mining Act, 2006 (Act 703).
“The effort by the Minister to strip Adamus Resources Limited of its mineral rights was without regard to any of the statutory procedures laid down in the Minerals and Mining Act, 2006 (Act 703),” the company stated.
The company also rejected the allegations that formed the basis of the revocation, describing them as “unfounded, contrived and deliberately manufactured”.
Adamus accused the minister of using his office to deprive the company of its mining leases.
“The company has duly noted the abuse of power wrapped in the absolute disregard of law in the process leading to the contemptible revocation of its leases,” it said.
The dispute dates back to April 2026, when the minister, acting on the recommendation of the Minerals Commission, revoked three mining leases covering the Akango, Salman and Nkroful concessions.
The Minerals Commission’s initial investigations alleged several breaches by Adamus, including the unauthorised assignment of mineral rights to foreign nationals for independent mining operations without prior written approval from the minister.
The Commission cited Section 14(1) of Act 703 in support of that allegation.
Other alleged breaches included mining outside demarcated areas without an approved Operating Permit from the Chief Inspector of Mines, as well as failure to obtain environmental and forestry approvals from the Environmental Protection Authority.
Adamus subsequently petitioned the revocation, leading to the establishment of an Inter-Ministerial Committee to review the company’s challenge.
According to the government’s account, the committee affirmed most of the breaches identified in the initial assessment and uncovered additional financial liabilities.
These included US$2.56 million in unpaid mineral rights fees, GH¢86.8 million in unpaid royalties and GH¢290.5 million in tax arrears.
The committee also reportedly identified unexplained discrepancies in gold exports and found that US$224 million had been transferred to related parties outside Ghana between 2020 and 2024.
On Monday, August 10, Minister Buah announced that he had upheld the revocation and directed the Minerals Commission to take immediate administrative control of the mine.
Adamus has now served notice that it intends to challenge the decision through the courts.
The company said it would announce the specific steps it intends to take “in the coming days”.
It expressed confidence that a full and fair examination of the facts would demonstrate its compliance with Ghana’s applicable mining laws.
Minister defends process
Minister Buah has defended the government’s handling of the matter, insisting that Adamus was given an opportunity to respond to the allegations before the final decision was reached.
Speaking during a working visit to the mine, he said the government’s priority was to protect the national interest, workers and the integrity of the mining operation.
“We have given Adamus the right of hearing, and I think that we have gotten to this point where the priority is to make sure that the interest of the country, the mine workers who work here and the sanctity of this mine and the safety of it should be the top priority of government,” he said.
The minister also indicated that government intends to seek a court order compelling Adamus to settle outstanding royalty, tax and other financial obligations owed to the state.
With the minister’s determination bringing the administrative review process to an end, the dispute is now likely to shift to the courts.
Adamus said it would provide the public with details of the “cogent steps” it intends to take to challenge the revocation in the coming days.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana rises to sixth-largest gold producer globally after record 2025 output
3 minutes -
Five injured in road crash at Ahwerase
7 minutes -
Ghana needs copyright protection for Kente designs – Agortime-Ziope MP
13 minutes -
BDCs lobby NPA for regional fuel depots amid concerns over BOST’s role
19 minutes -
Green means Business: How Ghana’s garden revolution is growing jobs, wealth and hope
21 minutes -
Ahafo Regional Minister cuts sod for 24-hour market project in Tano North
27 minutes -
PURC resolves over 97 per cent of complaints lodged during first half of 2026
32 minutes -
New DVLA office opens in Asuogyaman to improve access, fight licensing fraud
38 minutes -
Ga-Dangmes urged to preserve lands, culture for future generations
43 minutes -
Organised Labour pledges support for IPEC establishment
56 minutes -
South Africa returnees form ‘Evacuation Boys’ to support sanitation in Ghana
58 minutes -
Tema Traditional Council calls for cleaner environment, responsible parenting
1 hour -
Ghana–Namibia relations must be people-centred – Gunu
1 hour -
Dialogue is key in the establishment of IPEC – Labour Minister
1 hour -
Cedi appreciates against US dollar from GH¢11.75 – 10.94 in one week
1 hour