Cook Islands, a small South Pacific nation that has not experienced Covid-19 in its community, is readying for its first coronavirus infections after an infected traveller visited, Prime Minister Mark Brown said on Sunday.
The traveller from New Zealand spent eight days in the community and tested positive for Omicron upon returning home last week, Brown said in a video posted on the government's Facebook page.
"It is likely that the person … was infectious while here and further likely that the virus is in our community," he said.
"It may be there is 'silent transmission', where our high vaccination rate is so protective that people get Covid but so mildly that they do not realize they have it."
Official data show that 99.6% of the island nation's roughly 17,000 people aged 12 and over is double-vaccinated, and 70% of those eligible have had their booster shots.
Cook Islands resumed quarantine-free travel with New Zealand a month ago, after shutting itself off from the world when the pandemic hit in early 2020.
In December, the country reported one case of Covid-19 in a person quarantining after arriving on a repatriation flight, who was not exposed to the community.
"The fact that we have a high percentage of our people vaccinated will give us substantial protection from serious illness," Brown said.
Latest Stories
-
GPL 2024/25: Basake Holy Stars aims to break duck against Berekum Chelsea
38 minutes -
US tariffs: Ministers of Trade, Finance and Foreign Affairs to engage US Ambassador on April 7
39 minutes -
Karpowership Ghana appoints Oscar Kojo Amonoo-Neizer as Managing Director
43 minutes -
With Mahama’s confidence, Dr Naomi Kwetey vows to drive financial transformation at CBG
55 minutes -
CDM mounts pressure on Mahama gov’t to probe ‘suspicious flights’ saga
1 hour -
Suspicious flights’ saga: CDM slams Kwakye Ofosu’s conduct, urges Mahama to uphold decency
1 hour -
Ghana can’t be a cocaine coast – CDM to Mahama gov’t
1 hour -
CDM criticises Felix Kwakye Ofosu’s ‘clown’ comment directed at Rev Ntim Fordjour
1 hour -
Painter accused of stealing Bank of Ghana cables granted GH¢1M bail
1 hour -
I didn’t walk out of Newsfile – Ntim Fordjour refutes claims by Sammy Gyamfi
2 hours -
Ablakwa reveals Foreign Ministry’s $15m annual rent bill
2 hours -
‘Ghanaians want the truth, not drama’- CDM warns against political spin in suspicious flights probe
2 hours -
Preserving national dignity in the face of sensitive allegations: A call for decency, truth, and accountability
2 hours -
KNUST Registrar’s Office launches Excellence Awards to honour staff dedication
3 hours -
Police arrest two suspects over viral firearm discharge video
3 hours