Former President John Mahama has urged the governing Akufo-Addo administration to improve the country’s security situation.
According to him, armed robbers have recently become emboldened urging President Nana Akufo-Addo to ensure the safety of everyone within the nation’s territory.
“We urge the Akufo-Addo administration to be up and doing. It is the duty of the government to secure the lives of its citizens,” he said.
The former President made the comment at the burial ceremony of National Democratic Congress (NDC)’s Chairman for the Daffiama-Busie-Issa constituency of the Upper West Region, Richard Bayiviala Polibong.
The late Richard Bayiviala Polibong was killed by armed robbers.
The 45-year-old man was killed by the criminals while returning home from a funeral.
He was shot in the head by the gunmen at Sagu, a village in the Wa municipality at about 9:30 pm.
“The way he died was tragic. We would have accepted it if he had fallen sick and died naturally, but to have his life cut short through such a tragic event is not acceptable,” the former President said.
In his view, the attack on Mr Polibong was a reflection of the current insecurity in Ghana.
Government has moved to assure representatives of foreign missions in the country of their safety, in spite of the recent kidnappings and abduction being reported in some parts of the country.
A delegation led by the National Security Minister, Albert Kan-Dapaah, on Wednesday met with the diplomatic community on safety measures.
The meeting followed the successful operation by state security apparatus to the rescue of two Canadian women from their captors in Kumasi earlier last Wednesday.
Meanwhile, there have been demands on government to rescue three Takoradi girls who have gone missing for about six months now.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- 4 file to contest Dome Kwabenya NDC primary
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC