Former president Jerry John Rawlings says some appointees of president John Mahama are "not just correct and good enough".
He said some of the government appointees lacked the technical know-how to administer their sectors, hence the dwindling nature of the economy.
Speaking over the weekend at the 26th Anniversary of the annual Samanpiid festival celebrated by Kusasis in the Kusaug traditional area of the upper east region, the former president called for a cabinet reshuffle to weed out non performing government appointees.
This in his estimation will not only help President John Mahama to fight corruption but also give competent people the opportunity to help turn the wheel of fortune clockwise.
“I could not resist telling the President that some of his appointees are not just correct and good enough: some are the best and some are okay but I think it is important he makes better selection next time when he wants to do something about his government.”
He insisted, “When you have people who are not good enough your government looks vulnerable, your government becomes vulnerable but if you have tough good people who will stand by the truth and fight corruption boldly your government will not look vulnerable.”
He warned that any further delays in fixing the ailing economy could jeopardize the NDC’s electoral fortunes in 2016.
Mr. Rawlings also slammed recently announced upward adjustment in the electricity and water tariffs by the Public Utility Regulatory Commission (PURC) which will take efect from January 1, 2014.
“When the President was going away he made it known that he was going on a holiday and he left behind him higher electricity and water bills meanwhile he is gone and we have to live with the pain,” he complained.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court