Former president Jerry John Rawlings says some appointees of president John Mahama are "not just correct and good enough".
He said some of the government appointees lacked the technical know-how to administer their sectors, hence the dwindling nature of the economy.
Speaking over the weekend at the 26th Anniversary of the annual Samanpiid festival celebrated by Kusasis in the Kusaug traditional area of the upper east region, the former president called for a cabinet reshuffle to weed out non performing government appointees.
This in his estimation will not only help President John Mahama to fight corruption but also give competent people the opportunity to help turn the wheel of fortune clockwise.
“I could not resist telling the President that some of his appointees are not just correct and good enough: some are the best and some are okay but I think it is important he makes better selection next time when he wants to do something about his government.”
He insisted, “When you have people who are not good enough your government looks vulnerable, your government becomes vulnerable but if you have tough good people who will stand by the truth and fight corruption boldly your government will not look vulnerable.”
He warned that any further delays in fixing the ailing economy could jeopardize the NDC’s electoral fortunes in 2016.
Mr. Rawlings also slammed recently announced upward adjustment in the electricity and water tariffs by the Public Utility Regulatory Commission (PURC) which will take efect from January 1, 2014.
“When the President was going away he made it known that he was going on a holiday and he left behind him higher electricity and water bills meanwhile he is gone and we have to live with the pain,” he complained.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- 2020 elections: Seven vie to cut short NDC stay in opposition
- Party militia: Let Otumfuo or Ya-Na mediate NPP, NDC meeting - Citizens to Akufo-Addo
- NDC Professionals Forum International wishes party well in presidential primaries
- Bagbin, Alabi allege vote tampering as NDC prepares to elect flagbearer
- Meeting over militias won’t solve anything – NDC tells Akufo-Addo
- I'll bring Rawlings back to campaign - Alabi assures Volta NDC
- 'We can't find NDC MPs who held 'bloody widow' placards' - Parliament
- Asking NPP, NDC to meet over vigilantism too simplistic – Mahama
- 2020 election message not Bobolibobo - Joshua Alabi
- Asking NPP, NDC to deal with vigilantism is narrow approach - Prof. Gatsi
- Rawlings hopeful NDC, NPP will heed Akufo-Addo’s call to disarm militias
- NPP, NDC meeting cannot stop party militia canker – Asiedu Nketia
- Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
- Full Text: President Akufo-Addo's SONA 2019
- SONA 2019: New ¢1b Housing Fund to target low-income earners – Akufo-Addo