A 26-year-old footballer has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court for impregnating a 12-year-old girl at Teshie.
Derrick Tetteh, who did not have any legal representation pleaded guilty to the charge of defilement. The victim is currently six months pregnant.
The court presided over by Mrs Rita Abrokwah Doko convicted Tetteh on his own plea and sentenced him accordingly.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire told the court that the complainant in the matter is the victim‘s uncle.
He said Tetteh and the victim reside at different locations in Teshie. The Prosecution said during the month of June last year, Tetteh met the victim in the company of her sister and proposed love to her of which the victim ignorantly accepted.
Chief Inspector Atimbire said based on that Tetteh began having sex with the victim who later on became pregnant without knowing.
The Prosecution said the victim also started falling sick frequently, compelling the complainant to take her to the hospital for treatment.
He said during one of the visits to the hospital it came to light that the victim was 24 weeks (six months) pregnant. When the complainant asked the victim she mentioned Tetteh as her boyfriend and the one responsible for the pregnancy.
The Prosecution said the complainant reported the matter to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit of the Ghana Police Service at Nungua where he was issued with a medical report form to send the victim to the hospital for further medical examination.
He said Tetteh was later arrested by the Police as soon as the medical report form was returned to them.
The Prosecution said during interrogation Tetteh admitted having sex with the victim but denied being responsible for the pregnancy.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Akufo-Addo mourns Ghanaian head of UN Observer Force
- Prof. Nana Aba Appiah Amfo delivers inaugural lecture
- Live in harmony with one another - Bawumia's Easter message
- Easter: Judas teaches us to always go back to God for mercy- Joyce Aryee
- Gov't urged to implement new primary school curriculum from 2020-2021 academic year
- Man trades two cases of beer for 'unicorn' sheep
- Buying a $1 Italy dream house just got even easier
- April Borns Family donates to orphanage
- Aayalolo buses back on the road
- Blame Ghanaians for assisting, protecting Chinese illegal miners - Ambassador
- Video: I would have been a ‘backing singer’ if... - Reveals Emma Morrison
- Contractor terminates 5000 Saglemi housing project, asks for compensation
- CID takes over rape allegation against police officer
- JHS1 pupil drops out of school following pregnancy
- Dr. Adutwum details plan to transform Ghana into 'learning nation'