A 26-year-old footballer has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court for impregnating a 12-year-old girl at Teshie.
Derrick Tetteh, who did not have any legal representation pleaded guilty to the charge of defilement. The victim is currently six months pregnant.
The court presided over by Mrs Rita Abrokwah Doko convicted Tetteh on his own plea and sentenced him accordingly.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire told the court that the complainant in the matter is the victim‘s uncle.
He said Tetteh and the victim reside at different locations in Teshie. The Prosecution said during the month of June last year, Tetteh met the victim in the company of her sister and proposed love to her of which the victim ignorantly accepted.
Chief Inspector Atimbire said based on that Tetteh began having sex with the victim who later on became pregnant without knowing.
The Prosecution said the victim also started falling sick frequently, compelling the complainant to take her to the hospital for treatment.
He said during one of the visits to the hospital it came to light that the victim was 24 weeks (six months) pregnant. When the complainant asked the victim she mentioned Tetteh as her boyfriend and the one responsible for the pregnancy.
The Prosecution said the complainant reported the matter to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit of the Ghana Police Service at Nungua where he was issued with a medical report form to send the victim to the hospital for further medical examination.
He said Tetteh was later arrested by the Police as soon as the medical report form was returned to them.
The Prosecution said during interrogation Tetteh admitted having sex with the victim but denied being responsible for the pregnancy.
More News Headlines
- ‘We won’t take it!’ - Widespread teacher anger over ¢50 allowance
- 3 houses burnt down in renewed clashes in Savannah Region
- Video: Cronyism, exceptionalism killing local financial institutions - Wereko-Brobby
- New monitoring, evaluation system rolled out for malaria control programme
- Communication Ministry responds to Myjoyonline report on 2017 expenses
- 2 'PDS' imposters arrested for forcefully disconnecting supply
- Journalists schooled on reporting on sensitive issues
- Ghana Grand conquers most difficult terrain
- Personality Profile: Prophet Kofi Oduro takes his turn
- Group calls for passage of Affirmative Action Bill
- We don’t oppose good education policies- Oppong Nkrumah
- Those who lost bank jobs have found new work- Deputy Employment Minister
- UNDP to use TICAD7 to advance sustainable development in Africa
- Former GJA president lauds Herbert Mensah, others for supporting journalism dev’t
- Hotel room rates in Accra ranked 2nd in Africa after Addis Ababa