The killing of a female student on the Madina-Adentan Highway in the Greater Accra region, has triggered fresh outrage.
Angry residents have set tyres ablaze, billows of smoke clutch the atmosphere making the road with a 100km/hr speed limit unpassable.
“No more deaths!”, the residents have been chanting following the accident which occurred at about 4pm Thursday.
The accident becomes the 195th recorded on the Madina-Adentan Highway in 2018 alone. The latest fatality is a first-year female student of the West Africa Senior High School (WASS).
She is reportedly a student on the second batch of SHS students known as the Gold track and had gone to register for the beginning of her academic experience at the second cycle school.
But a taxi driver rammed into the teenager, who is yet to be identified, after she had left the campus. She died on the spot and the driver reported himself to the police.
The footbridge remains uncompleted, traffic lights are faulty and no road signs on the highway making it the deadliest in Accra.
Officers of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were on the scene to put out the fire while the police are at the scene to control the irate residents.
There is massive traffic jam on the road as one part of it has been closed due to the action of the angry residents.
A handful of police officers are no match for the vengeful mob. But police reinforcements arrived moments later. Gun shots from the police pierced a car, injuring a woman and her son.
Stones are flying into the police. “They are flying from all directions” Joy News’ Komla Adom reported. The police officers are firing gun shots in reply.
Below are pictures and videos from the scene.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Fire, explosions hit Michel Camp armoury
- Director of Education bemoans poor teacher competency in literacy, numeracy
- “Yellowman of Aleppo” has been wearing only yellow for 35 years
- 5 reasons tourists won’t want to skip a trip to Ghana in 2019
- World's 'loneliest' frog gets a date
- EOCO freezes NAM1’s accounts
- A true African patriot is free - Rawlings lauds Gbagbo victory at ICC
- NAM1 extradition close to impossible - Lawyer
- GES clarifies academic calendar
- Police officer, 2 others busted for robbery
- A year of God’s promotion: GETHIM marks 16th anniversary
- Auction of Menzgold properties suspended
- I am going to deal with structural racism within the WUDC – President
- Ghanaian arrested for alleged murder in the U.S.
- American family drills borehole for Akukorpko residents after Joy News report