The single biggest arrest of suspected illegal miners has been effected in the Ashanti region.
16 miners were rounded up deep inside the Kobro forest reserve believed to have huge mineral deposits.
The arrest by the taskforce working under the Inter-ministerial committee against illegal mining raises concerns that illegal mining is outlasting government’s resolve to deal with the menace.
The taskforce retrieved 14 long butt pump action assault rifles and one rare military grade M16 assault rifle.
Some of the weapons were brand new, Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor reported. Six new excavators were also grounded.
Two ex-military officers who were manning the site told the team the owner of the site, one Donald Enstuah has a permit from the minerals commission.
One of the 15 sites owned by Enstuah is the size of about six football fields combined.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: Don’t misinterpret Quran to beat your wives - Islamic scholar advises
- 'You will be prosecuted': Accra mayor talks tough on sanitation crimes
- Armed Forces get 140 vehicles, 48 more coming
- Revealed: ¢200m locked up in Menzgold
- New Makola Market on fire
- NAGRAT was consulted on new education curricula – Education Ministry fights back
- Law to disband militias still needed despite Akufo-Addo’s plea – CDD
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, February 22, 2019
- Ghanaian language proficiency may soon become requirement for tertiary education
- Woman wants leather handbag made out of the skin on her amputated leg
- World Bank supports Ghana tourism with $40m grant
- Menzgold saga: Aggrieved customers disappointed in Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s directive on party militia commendable – NCCE
- New education curricula didn’t have our input - NAGRAT
- UN appoints Ghana's Martha Pobee to review Financing for Dev't