The UNFPA and the Ghana Health Service (GHS) have launched ‘Time with Grandma,’ an initiative that makes it possible for adolescents to be tutored, mentored and advised by experienced and elderly women in their communities.
‘Time with Grandma’ is a community-based program that helps adolescent and all those in the age bracket of 10 to 19 years to tap from the experiences of the elderly in one’s community.
The initiative is expected to help deal with the increasing numbers of teenage pregnancies in the Central Region.
Launching the project at Assin Subinso in the Assin South District of the Central Region, the Assin South District Public Health Nursing officer, Gladys Anokwan explained the move has become necessary in order to reduce the numbers of children that keep getting pregnant.
In 2018, out of the number of women that got pregnant in the Assin South District, 501 were teenagers. The situation has left the UNFPA and the Ghana Health service explain has many girls school drop-outs.
The 2018 State of the World Population report by United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) says adolescent pregnancy - impacts on girls’ education, health and long-term employment opportunities and many adolescents who become mothers have their education permanently halted.
“It is in this light that the project has been launched to help deal with the menace that is shattering the dreams and aspirations of teenage girls,” she explained.
She encouraged parents to support the initiative carefully guided and supported by UNFPA and the Ghana Health Service to help protect girls against sexual abuses.
“If your kids don't normally get to spend time with their grandparents, now is the perfect opportunity. Don't let another moment pass,” she encouraged.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- How many bananas are enough?
- UG School of Nursing and Midwifery gets first substantive Dean
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Lluxury jewelry line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Your events are incomplete without Homeda Kente
- 5 texting signals that mean they're only interested in sex